Website Landmarks Illinois
Founded in 1971, Landmarks Illinois is the state’s leading voice for historic preservation. As a membership-based nonprofit organization, we promote preservation, restoration and adaptive reuse of buildings and sites of many types in order to leverage our past to create a better future. We know that blending old and new makes communities resilient and interesting places to live, work and play. We are People Saving Places for People.
Dates: January 2023 – May 2023
Pay: $15 per hour (total of $3,000)
Location: Hybrid preferred. Fully remote is considered for the right candidate.
This paid internship will allow the intern to support Landmarks Illinois’ annual Most Endangered Historic Places list. Most Endangered lists are a common and valuable historic preservation advocacy tool; this position will allow the intern to develop skills transferable to various preservation organizations. The intern will work closely with Advocacy and Communications staff to prepare for the announcement of the 2023 list in late spring.
Specifically, the intern will have the opportunity to develop an understanding of the following:
- Most Endangered lists as a preservation advocacy tool
- The role of communications in supporting preservation advocacy strategies
- Review nominations for the 2023 Most Endangered Historic Places list
- Research/due diligence on nominated places. Liaise with nominators as needed
- Assist advocacy staff in refining the list of places
- Develop presentations for Landmarks Illinois Executive Committee to assist with the approval of the final list
- Support collection of information and materials needed before the announcement date in May 2023