🔗Principal Planner/Heritage Resource Specialist
Website Prince William County Planning Office
Would you like to work with a future-oriented team of planning professionals helping to make Prince William County a community of choice through innovative land use planning? If so, the Prince William County Planning Office has an exciting opportunity for you. The Long Range division of the Planning office is looking for a creative and talented professional Planner/Heritage Resource Specialist interested in improving the quality of life for County residents and businesses through good planning and historic preservation, community engagement, and problem-solving.
About This Role
As part of a team, you will work closely with:
- Current Planning staff
- Internal and external review agencies
- The Architectural Review Board
- The Historical Commission
You will work as a team lead and a team member for long-range planning projects and independently on specific projects assigned by County Archeologist.
As a team member, you will provide input in team meetings using experience applying planning practices and principles. Working independently, you will manage assigned projects to meet deadlines, follow all procedures, and coordinate production to achieve positive outcomes for the project. You will prepare, negotiate, and administer consultant support, including fieldwork and draft reports and reviews of draft reports. In this role, you will serve as the Director of Planning’s liaison to the county’s Architectural Review Board and administer historic zoning overlay districts.
As a team lead, you will implement cultural resources policy recommendations and other county plans to manage its heritage resources. You will review and prepare updates to County codes related to Historic Overlay District. You will review reports for comprehensive plan amendments. You support planning data collection, data analysis, and demographic projection efforts. This position requires excellent research, communication, organizational, and analytical skills. Work is performed under the immediate supervision of the County Archeologist.
High school diploma or G.E.D. and 7 years of related (Planning) experience. We welcome applicants with all levels of education and experience to apply.
- An educational background in planning or historic preservation or other closely related fields, a master’s degree, AICP certification, and planning experience are preferred.
- Broad knowledge of the principals, practices, and methods of at least one historic preservation specialty and heritage resources discipline
- Experience working independently and leading teams,
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- The ability to build consensus
- The ability to analyze and interpret policies and manage projects/applications.
- Direct experience working with local governments, community groups, and elected officials is a plus.
- Good communication skills are imperative, including writing, presenting, facilitating, negotiating, and explaining planning terms and processes to constituents and team members.
- A self-starter with a demonstrated ability to work independently and with teams.
- The work environment is fast-paced, and you should enjoy working in a creative learning environment and have the ability to meet deadlines and be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
Full-time with occasional evening Public Hearings
Starting Salary Range:
Prince William County is a growing, diverse, and dynamic community within easy commuting distance from Washington, D.C., and Northern Virginia. Prince William County Government is an organization where elected leaders, staff, individuals, families, and businesses work together to make Prince William County a community of choice. We do the right thing for the customer and community every time. We rely on leadership at all levels to achieve our Vision. We are a continuous learning organization, providing no-cost access to training and career development opportunities; comprehensive, affordable health care options; generous leave accrual; paid holidays and personal days; flexible work scheduling; VA State Retirement, including 401 and 457 investment plans. Prince William County Government…See Yourself Here!