Website Battleship NORTH CAROLINA
The Executive Director will provide leadership and management to preserve, develop, and promote the memorial, ensuring that its historical significance is continuously recognized in the national community for generations. The Executive Director reports to the Battleship Commission.
· With respect to personnel, create, promote, and preserve a healthy workplace culture consistent with laws, policies, and proper procedures. For example, included are recruiting, selecting, hiring, training, and promoting permanent and seasonal employees; developing and implementing mandated personnel plans and policies; and directing proper administration of records for the Battleship staff. (25%)
· Effectively manage overall operations, maintenance, and administrative requirements of the Battleship in compliance with applicable North Carolina General Statutes, North Carolina Administrative Code and other local and State directives; comply with other federal programs such as EPA and OSHA; ensure visitor safety on the tour route; ensure restoration, repair and maintenance criteria adhere to authentic WWII era standards, National Historic Landmark guidelines, and US Navy Heritage Asset guidelines, except as required for safety, OSHA or other regulations; establish appropriate preventive maintenance schedules; ensure other support buildings in the Battleship complex are maintained to appropriate standards; provide periodic reports of the material and financial condition of the Battleship to the Battleship Commission and State; provide timely situational updates to the Chairman of the Battleship Commission and members of the Battleship Commission; and maintain effective working relationships with departments of state government. (25%)
· Develop a fiscally sound operating and capital projects budget based on accurate visitation and revenue projections; provide funding plan for capital projects including fundraising; supervise preparation of required financial statements, records and deposits in accordance with established banking procedures and generally accepted accounting standards for governmental entities including compliance with applicable Governmental Accounting Standards Board and Financial Account Standards Board pronouncements; ensure internal controls for all financial accountability functions are in place and adhered to; prepare and present Battleship financial records for the annual audit by the Office of the State Auditor; prepare input to the State’s Comprehensive Annual Financial Report for submission to the Office of the State Controller; ensure effective management of the investment portfolio and direct investment of other cash reserves in accordance with applicable NC general statutes. (25%)
· With respect to proper and effective management of programming, ensure quality museum services of the Battleship, provide guidance in exhibit and ship interpretation to ensure accuracy and effectiveness for visitors; establish effective program for all aspects of artifact acquisition, accession/deaccession, conservation and display; provide support to the Friends of the Battleship; ensure procedures are in place for efficient use of volunteers; ensure educational program elements support curricula of schools and other educational organizations; approve appropriate space rental programs; and direct planning and execution of special events, ceremonies and observances. (10%)
· With respect to admissions to the ship and sales in the Ship’s Store, submit to the Commission recommendations for an admissions fee schedule that is both competitive and meets overall fiscal needs; provide guidance to the Sales Department in choice of items for Ship’s Store; ensure proper operating procedures, including internal controls, for Ship’s Store and concessions are in place and adhered to; ensure proper procedures followed and reasonable profits obtained from contracts with concessionaires. (5%)
· With respect to the promotion and marketing of the Battleship, establish guidelines and priorities for the marketing program to enhance the visibility of the Battleship in the marketplace; provide a positive image of the Battleship in the community. (5%)
· Provide community support, both locally and statewide; ensure a positive image of the Battleship in appearances before media, groups, or individuals; ensure accuracy in information provided. (5%)
· Since the Battleship Commission receives no appropriated funds, it must operate the Battleship as a small business of the State of North Carolina and, therefore, the Battleship Executive Director is the chief executive officer and chief financial officer of this business enterprise.
· Effectively manage overall operations and administrative requirements of the Battleship in compliance with various governing local, state, and federal directives, including ethics requirements and contracts management.
· Effectively manage all financial aspects of the Memorial including presentation of the annual audit to the Battleship Commission.
· Direct maintenance, repair and restoration of the Battleship, other support buildings and the grounds of the complex.
· Direct operation of admissions and sales in the Ship’s Store and Concessions.
· Direct the promotion and marketing of the Battleship.
· Direct development activities, current and future.
· Direct the museum services aspects of the Battleship including interpretation of the prime artifact, the ship, and other supporting exhibits.
· Direct the programming of the Battleship.
· Direct personnel matters of the Battleship.