🔗Camp Santanoni Summer Staff/Advanced Internship
Website Adirondack Architectural Heritage
Adirondack Architectural Heritage (AARCH) is the nonprofit historic preservation organization for New York State’s Adirondack region. Formed in 1990, AARCH has a mission to promote better public understanding, appreciation and stewardship of the Adirondacks’ unique and diverse architectural heritage. We preserve the architecture and communities of the Adirondacks through education, action, and advocacy. AARCH has an active and engaged membership of over 1300. AARCH membership is made up of people who care about the region’s architecture, communities, history, and quality of life. Our members are yearround and seasonal residents, organizations, local governments, businesses, and others who love the Adirondack region. AARCH’s offices are in Keeseville (Clinton County), New York.
Camp Santanoni is located within the 12,900-acre Santanoni Preserve and consists of: a Main Camp complex, a collection of rustic buildings situated on secluded Newcomb Lake; a Gate Lodge complex at the entrance to the preserve; and an early 20th-century model farm. The building of this great camp began in 1892 for Robert and Anna Pruyn of Albany. In its time, Camp Santanoni was the largest of the Adirondack Great Camps and hosted Theodore Roosevelt, among other prominent guests. After New York State acquired the site in 1972 and added it to the Adirondack Forest Preserve, Santanoni sat vacant and neglected for more than 20 years with an uncertain fate. In 2000, New York State created the Camp Santanoni Historic Area, committing to use the site for public educational and recreational purposes. Since then, more than $2 million in conservation work has been completed, and thousands visit annually.
AARCH has supported the preservation of Camp Santanoni since its founding in 1990. Since 1991, we have hosted summer interns working at the great camp, interpreting Camp Santanoni for the public and completing hands-on preservation projects.
- Interaction with public visitors, including site explanation and interpretation. This includes the Gate Lodge, accessible from Route 28N; the Farm Complex, a one-mile walk/bike into the complex; the Main Lodge Complex, a five-mile walk/bike in each direction.
- Participating in ongoing restoration work. This includes staining, painting, window reglazing, and other discrete conservation projects.
- Operating a small visitor’s center at the Gate Lodge.
- Developing programs and exhibits for ongoing site interpretation.