Website A&E Design
A day in the life of a preservation architect.
- Assist an integrated team with problem-solving, design, applying historic preservation philosophy and techniques, documentation, drafting/developing drawings, and related deliverables on a range of preservation and adaptive reuse projects.
- Research, develop, and deliver a range of reports and associated documentation, including Historic Structure Reports (HSR), Preliminary Architectural Reports (PAR), condition assessments, historic paint analysis, and similar uniquely related preservation techniques, including (but not limited to) existing building verification and measuring, research, photography, and drawings.
- Apply principles of architectural integrity as they relate to historic buildings in developing new and creative solutions for clients.
- Research historic methods of construction and modern materials that meet historic preservation compliance review and application of modern code(s).
- Work through historic preservation compliance processes, local historic preservation ordinances, community design guidelines and standards, and coordinate with state and local historic preservation advocacy groups.
- Attend and present at local Historic Preservation Commission meetings, other governmental review process meetings, and related historic preservation events.
- Research building codes related to existing and historic buildings, adaptive reuse, and change of use.
- Innovatively apply historic preservation principles in the context of modern construction.
- Develop and maintain knowledge of construction costs and sources for a wide scope of preservation approaches, products, materials, tradespersons, and services.
- Write project specifications unique to historic preservation projects.
- Attend and record meetings with clients, project team members, and stakeholder groups.
- Strive to learn and improve your historic preservation skills, never settling for the status quo.
Logging in with a Registered User Account and completing the Universal Application is required to apply for NCPE Internships. Please visit the Universal Application page to register for an account and complete the form. After logging in and completing the form, refreshing this listing will display the Job Application to apply online.