🔗BERO-HOWK HISTORIC PRESERVATION INTERNSHIP
Website Bero Architecture PLLC & The Landmark Society of Western New York
Established in 1976, Bero Architecture is a Rochester, New York, full-service women-owned architecture firm with an expertise in historic preservation. The firm has developed a local, state, and regional reputation for excellence in preservation planning, building evaluations, restoration, rehabilitation, and adaptive re-use. The Landmark Society of Western New York, is one of the oldest and most active preservation organizations in America, organized in 1937, preceding by ten years the founding of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, of which it is a charter member. It is a not-for-profit membership organization dedicated to preserving, interpreting, and fostering interest in the architectural, historical and cultural heritage of the Western New York region.
Promote an interest in and deeper understanding of historic preservation architectural practice.
- Named in honor of John Bero, founder of Bero Architecture, and Cynthia Howk, Architectural Research Coordinator at LSWNY from 1976-2021.
- Ten-week summer internship period. Specific dates to be coordinated with selected intern. Weeks to be consecutive unless coordinated and agreed to by all parties.
- Thirty to thirty-five hours per week commitment, six to seven hours per day, five days per week. Hours are somewhat flexible, but specific hours will be coordinated with the selected intern.
- The intern will work 60% of the internship period at Bero Architecture and 40% of the internship period at LSWNY. Specific organization of days/weeks worked at each location will be coordinated by all parties.
TYPES OF ASSIGNMENTS
- The intern will work on historic preservation related projects that provide insight into and experience of the multiple facets of the field. It is our intent that the blend of historic preservation advocacy and education offered by the LSWNY and the technical analysis and design elements of historic preservation architecture and planning offered by Bero Architecture provide the intern with a well-rounded experience.
- The intern will spend the majority of their time on programming and survey work with the LSWNY and design and planning activities with Bero Architecture rather than basic filing, fundraising, or busy work.