Website City and County of Denver
Denver is the nation's top place to live, work, and play, and we need the best people working for the residents of Denver. People who want to make a difference; people who want to give back; people who want to be at the heart of this city and have a hand in creating our future. Equity, diversity and inclusion are cornerstones of our values at the City and County of Denver. We celebrate uniqueness and strive to be a world-class city where everyone matters. Join us! Be a part of the city that you love.
Employment Requirement: City employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. All persons offered a position will be required to provide valid proof of vaccination prior to starting employment. Refer to the COVID-19 Employee Vaccination Mandate Candidate Q&A for additional information.
The Buffalo Bill Museum and Grave is part of the Denver Mountain Parks system and is located at Lookout Mountain Park in Golden, Colorado. Lookout Mountain Park includes the Buffalo Bill museum and grave site, a café and gift shop, picnic area, and related facilities, and has breathtaking views of Golden and Denver.
The museum collects, preserves, and interprets artifacts and archival materials associated with William F. “Buffalo Bill” Cody, his Wild West show, and the performers who toured nationally and internationally with the show. We are a small museum with a collection of 9,000 items that is of interest to the general public, collectors, and scholars. We attract local, national, and international visitors, and have a high visitation rate in comparison to the size of our staff and building footprint.
The Buffalo Bill Museum is seeking a part-time Visitor Services Assistant to welcome and orient guests and provide general administrative support for museum operations. This is an on-call position which will work between 16-24 hours per week and is not eligible for benefits. On-call positions may have routine or variable work schedules including weekends and holidays. The typical schedule for this position will be Saturday, Sunday, and possibly one weekday other than Monday, from 8:45 a.m. to 5:15 p.m., though scheduled days may vary, and scheduled hours may increase or decrease based on need and seasons. Public transportation is not available to Lookout Mountain Park and applicants should have access to their own transportation.
Job duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Serve as the first point-of-contact for visitors to the Buffalo Bill Museum
- Interact with the public and internal customers in person, by phone and by email in a professional, courteous manner
- Answer questions related to the Buffalo Bill museum and history and assist visitors with research requests
- Operate the cash register, balance out the register, and prepare reports
- Keep brochures and foreign language translation guides stocked
- Open and close the museum
- Monitor security cameras, contact park rangers or law enforcement in the case of an emergency
- Perform administrative tasks as needed such as data compilation/analysis or revenue reports
- Assist with data entry into collections database and assist with filing and organization of research records
- Assist with event preparation and educational programs as needed