Website City of Charlotte
The Historic District Commission (HDC) is in the Design + Preservation Division of the City of Charlotte Planning, Design and Development Department. The Project Coordinator position has a high level of responsibility focused on after-the-fact applications and supporting property owners through the entire HDC process. This position will be the staff lead for all HDC-related zoning and code enforcement compliance issues. The Project Coordinator position is a unique opportunity to work in the field evaluating construction projects while participating in other various special projects such as historic district designations, planning processes, and education and outreach. Candidates will be a part of a team and can expect a fast-paced environment and should excel in communication skills.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Analyze architectural and landscape drawings, including plans, sections, elevations, and details, to determine compliance with the HDC Design Standards.
- Conduct and participate in meetings to help clients understand policies and rules affecting Certificates of Appropriateness (COAs) applications.
- Prepare COAs, amendments, and conduct final inspections to ensure compliance with approved plans.
- Work closely with the Zoning Enforcement department on compliance and enforcement issues.
- Create and maintain a compliance and enforcement project database.
- Prepare and present oral and written technical reports, special maps, charts, and other materials for Commission monthly meetings and annual retreats.
- Utilize proprietary software programs (Accela, Winchester and others).
- Meet with and advise city officials, Commission members, citizen groups, and partner organizations in complex historic preservation planning matters; provide information and project administrative support and assist in formulating policies and objectives.
- Lead special projects related to historic district designations, Charlotte Future 2040 Comprehensive Plan and Unified Development Ordinance implementation, and education and outreach.
Logging in with a Registered User Account and completing the Universal Application is required to apply for NCPE Internships. Please visit the Universal Application page to register for an account and complete the form. After logging in and completing the form, refreshing this listing will display the Job Application to apply online.