🔗Historic Preservation Specialist
Denver Mountain Parks
Denver Parks and Recreation is seeking a capable and experienced Historic Preservation Specialist to perform historic preservation work on Denver Mountain Park facilities. Established over a century ago in 1912, the Denver Mountain Parks consists of 14,000 acres of parks and open space across four counties outside of Denver’s municipal boundary. The Mountain Parks system boasts a wide array of parks, bison herds, the Buffalo Bill Museum & Grave, water resources, wildlife habitat, trails, and a variety of recreational activities ranging from the alpine environment of Mount Evans to the plains ecosystem of Daniel’s Park. The Denver Mountain Parks system is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and features over 300 historic properties, including the Red Rocks Park and Amphitheater National Historic Landmark, and significant historic structures designed by noted Denver architect J.J. Benedict. This position will also be responsible for the preservation maintenance of the historic Red Rocks CCC camp in Morrison, one of the last two remaining intact camps in the nation.
This position will report to the Denver Mountain Parks headquarters in Morrison, Colorado. This position will typically work Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m.–3:30 p.m. with occasional evenings, weekends, and or/holidays for special events, snow removal, or emergencies.
Job duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
Historic Preservation (75%)
Perform semi-skilled historic preservation work on buildings and facilities, including (but not limited to) log crown repair, wood window repair, and masonry repointing, using a range of hand and power tools
- Provide condition assessments, preservation plans, and treatment recommendations for historic buildings throughout the Denver Mountain Parks system
- Serve as work lead on historic preservation projects and perform training and mentoring in historic preservation skills for Denver Mountain Parks staff
Serve as occasional volunteer project manager and train, supervise, and monitor volunteers
- Conduct occasional historical and archival research related to Denver Mountain Parks
General Maintenance (25%)
- Perform semi-skilled, unlicensed trades work in multiple trades areas for both historic and non-historic buildings, including carpentry, roofing repair, glazing, tool machinery, masonry, mechanical maintenance, minor electrical, minor plumbing, minor heating and ventilating, minor refrigeration and air conditioning, and painting, etc.
- Perform occasional light maintenance and landscaping work including sweeping, trash removal, gate maintenance, and condition monitoring
- Assist with annual bison handling
- Support snow removal operations in the winter