🔗Assistant Archaeological Lab Manager
Website Fairfax county park authority
Position Title: Assistant Archaeological Lab Manager
Hours: Monday through Friday with occasional telework opportunities. Occasional weekend hours or off-hours special events may be required. This position is scheduled to work up to 30 hours per week.
Salary: Starting at $26.16 per hour.
Overview: The Archaeology and Collections Branch of the Fairfax County Park Authority (FCPA) is currently accepting applications for an assistant archaeological lab manager to assist with archaeological laboratory operations under the direction of the lab manager. Duties are varied and include artifact identification, processing, and cataloging, oversight of archaeology staff and volunteers, researching artifacts, preparing collections for permanent curation according to professional standards, developing and/or updating procedures, and coordination with field staff. The FCPA archaeological program is public, engaging the interested public and working with volunteers with a range of experience. The assistant lab manager has specific responsibilities for maintaining the online volunteer management system and tasking and supervising lab volunteers. The assistant lab manager contributes to the management of the ACB artifact database. Knowledge of both indigenous/pre-colonial and historical period material culture is required. A BA in Archaeology, Anthropology, History, or related field is strongly preferred. Likewise, preference will be given to applicants with experience in MS Access and a familiarity ArcGIS.
· 40% Completes artifact identification from all eras and all material types, catalogs artifacts using proprietary database and prepares artifacts for curation including labeling, photographing, tagging, and bagging artifacts in materials according to internal collection management standards and AAM requirements.
· 20% Artifact database entry and maintenance including using ACB s proprietary coding system, correctly flagging diagnostic artifacts and setting up queries for reporting.
· 20% Oversight of lab tasks performed by others including volunteer staff, interns, and non-laboratory staff to include activities such as washing, sorting, tagging, labelling, and weighing.
· 10% Volunteer program oversight to include creation of opportunities and tracking of volunteer hours in the volunteer management system as well as attendance at volunteer management meetings.
· 10% Participates in field or outreach activities as assigned, such as occasional archaeological field testing or construction monitoring, creation of stewardship education materials, attendance at events, or presenting at conferences.
· Ability to lift up to 25lbs.
· Ability to walk over rough terrain
· Knowledge of both indigenous/pre-colonial and historical period material culture
· Drivers License
· BA in Archaeology
Note: *This position is scheduled to work a minimum 1,040 hours and no more than a maximum of 1,560 hours in a calendar year. This position is eligible to receive limited benefits, including: Medical/Vision/Dental Insurance Coverage, Flexible Spending Program, and Deferred Compensation.
To apply: Send your resume to FCPAJOBS@fairfaxcounty.gov.
Necessary Special Requirements:
· All newly hired employees are required to be fully vaccinated as a condition of employment or obtain approval of a medical or religious exemption prior to their start date. Proof of an exemption or vaccination status will be required during the pre-employment onboarding process. New employees who obtain an exemption from the vaccine mandate for medical or religious reasons will still be subject to the weekly testing requirement. Otherwise, vaccinated employees will complete the attestation online in the first day of employment.
· The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background check to the satisfaction of the employer.
If you have any questions, please email FCPAJOBS@Fairfaxcounty.gov or visit us online at www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/jobs-internships
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact 703-324-4900 for assistance. TTY 703-222-7314. EEO/AA/TTY.
Fairfax County Park Authority prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetics, political affiliation, or military status in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.