Historic Denver needs a leader who is passionate about preserving our cultural heritage and community assets across the city and who see and anticipate opportunities that others may miss. We need a leader who is visionary, dynamic, flexible, and committed.
Our work requires outstanding communication and negotiation skills, political acumen and a proven ability to partner successfully with multiple stakeholders including policy-makers, community groups, property owners, and elected and appointed city leaders.
This work frequently does not follow a straight line, and thus, the incoming President & CEO will be comfortable with complex and creative problem solving and finding mutually beneficial solutions in a variety of circumstances.
Qualified candidates will also have demonstrated experience or skills in these areas:
Mission & Advocacy
• Strong strategic visioning experience including the successful implementation of that vision
• Direct knowledge of nonprofit governance and how to optimize working with a volunteer governing board
• Success in informal and formal advocacy roles with a strong ability to navigate changing and nuanced political dynamics, ideally in Denver
• Proactive, highly professional negotiation and mediation skills
• Demonstrated knowledge of buildings, city planning, public history, and/or architecture is preferred but candidates do not have to be technical preservation experts
Community Engagement & Communication
• Strong voice/face of the organization experience, has experience as a respected spokesperson and in interacting with the media
• Outstanding ability to build relationships with multiple constituents
• Proven experience in leading inclusivity and diversity efforts with external constituents, as well as with internal staff and board
Revenue Generation & Operations
• Experience in senior leadership roles in nonprofit, public service, or business operations
• Proven success in philanthropic fundraising as well as building effective sources of earned income
• Demonstrated skills and appreciation for cultivating and stewarding donors and members for long term support
• Professional skills in effective financial and organization development
• Management experience based on trust, support, and accountability, supporting a culture of autonomy and cooperation
Ideally candidates will have some personal or professional knowledge of Denver and its history though this is not mandatory provided the candidate is willing and able to become deeply immersed in the community and its history. An undergraduate degree in a field appropriate to the profession is preferred but not required. Candidates must agree to live in the metro Denver area but do not have to be residents in the City and County of Denver.
How to Apply:
Historic Denver is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunity. We prohibit discrimination against applicants and employees on any basis protected by applicable federal or state laws including, but not limited to race, color, national origin or ancestry, religion, creed, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, or gender expression, marital status, political affiliation or political service, military or veteran status, or disability.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible by sending a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to Carolyn McCormick of Peak HR Consulting, LLC at Carolyn.McCormick@peakhrconsulting.com. In your cover letter, please outline why you would be excited to lead Historic Denver and its innovative solutions.
All applications are to be submitted via email. To learn more about this position and the work of Historic Denver, please visit us at https://historicdenver.org .
Historic Denver recognizes the multi-faceted history of our community including the original use of local land by indigenous tribes. We are committed to preserving and amplifying an inclusive history that represents all people of Denver and Colorado. We prioritize representation in our staff, leadership, and board that reflects the diversity of our community. We encourage candidates of all backgrounds and circumstance to apply for this impactful position.