Historic New England
Historic New England seeks a full-time Preservation Carpenter to perform a combination of maintenance repairs and preservation projects at historic sites as a part of a carpentry crew. Skilled and experienced, the preservation carpenter helps maintain the historical integrity of Historic New England properties by monitoring conditions at sites, developing treatment plans, performing required work, documenting all phases of work in an appropriate manner, and demonstrating in all actions a commitment to long-term preservation and maintenance of Historic New England resources.
Classification: Full time; Exempt
Location: Lyman Estate, Waltham, MA; Regular New England region travel required
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Performs repairs and assists in maintenance activities to ensure preservation of structures and monitors contract work at sites as required.
- Communicates when strategies for repair and preservation differ in the field from work plans.
- Work can include but is not limited to timber frame repair, rough and finish carpentry, fence or other landscape element repairs, window maintenance and restoration, plaster stabilization, masonry re-pointing, and painting.
- Creates conditions assessments and develops work plans in conjunction with preservation managers for repairs that adhere to Historic New England’s preservation philosophy.
- Documents each stage of repair in written reports, photography, and/or measured drawings and architecturally significant evidence found prior to making repairs.
Salary: $50,000-$54,000 plus benefits