Website Historic Santa Fe Foundation
The Historic Santa Fe Foundation (HSFF) is an organization that has contributed to the preservation and knowledge of the city of Santa Fe since its founding in 1961. Our mission is to preserve, protect and promote the historic properties and diverse cultural heritage of the Santa Fe area, and to educate the public about Santa Fe's history and the importance of preservation.
The Historic Santa Fe Foundation is now accepting applications for the 2024 Faith and John Gaw Meem Preservation Trades Internship. The 10-week program begins June 3, 2024 in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The program offers a student or recent graduate of architecture, planning, design, or a similar field the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the theory and practice of building preservation and restoration by working with Foundation staff, board members, and external professionals in related fields.
This program was formed in 2005 in response to the need for preservationists trained in the traditional crafts, especially those skills essential for the appropriate conservation of the Southwest’s unique earthen architecture. Past interns have been students or alumni of institutions including the University of New Mexico, Belmont College, and Goucher College. The program provides an opportunity for emerging professionals to gain hands-on experience with preserving and restoring historic earthen architecture.
Heritage preservation depends ultimately on a team of skilled workers who have learned the ethics and approaches of preservation as well as the disciplines of their own trades. In particular, the knowledge and skills associated with the traditional building trades are at the heart of architectural conservation.
All projects are on-site in Santa Fe, NM at either a HSFF owned property or a nearby historic site operated by a partner organization.
- Work under direction of HSFF staff performing maintenance, repairs and conservation of historic properties in Northern New Mexico
- Attend at least one HSFF Board meeting
- Attend bi-monthly Santa Fe’s Historic Districts Review Board meetings
- Observe activities of staff of city, state and federal agencies involved in preservation efforts or other preservation organizations
- Attend and assist with HSFF events during internship term
- Prepare and present an evaluation report on internship experience at the conclusion of the term to the HSFF Board