Houston Public Library, African American Library at the Gregory School
The African American Library at the Gregory School (AALGS), Houston Public Library (HPL) preserves archival and local history materials that document the experience of African Americans in Houston, Texas, and the surrounding region.
AALGS and HPL seek a temporary full-time contract Project Archivist for a grant-funded position. The archivist will process (arrange, describe, and digitize) accruals to the Ben Desoto Photographs, including analog and born-digital materials, to provide a finding aid, metadata, and historical context for the collection. This position has a flexible start date and will conclude on June 30, 2023. This position is onsite with standard business hours Monday-Friday, 8 am-5 pm.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Arranges and describes, and catalogs photographic, manuscript, and born-digital materials
• Creates DACS-compliant finding aid
• Scans and digitizes archival materials using imaging equipment
• Creates metadata for items selected for digitization
• Reports statistics related to activities, extent processed, the number of materials digitized, and other information pertinent for reporting purposes
• Writes related social media and newsletter articles