🔗President and Chief Executive Officer
Website Los Angeles Conservancy
The Los Angeles Conservancy, a membership-based nonprofit organization, believes that historic preservation empowers and nourishes community by creating meaningful connections between people. With its two-fold mission of advocacy and education, the Conservancy preserves existing architectural resources by raising public awareness of the value of those resources through tours, lectures, publications and programs. Grounded in a deep love for Los Angeles City and County, the mission is to recognize, preserve, and revitalize the historic architectural and cultural resources of Los Angeles County. Today, that journey has evolved as the organization strives to make preservation part of public policy, urban planning, and public consciousness. The organization boasts a membership of 4,500 households, the largest membership of any local preservation organization in the U.S., reflecting a commitment to the belief that historic places add value and meaning to the present and future.
ABOUT THE POSITION (See Candidate Profile)
The Los Angeles Conservancy seeks to hire a President & Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to succeed Linda Dishman, who has been President and CEO for over 31 years. This new leader will honor the magnitude of previous accomplishments, continue building upon the organization’s legacy with a deep passion for preservation, and be a voice for historic preservation policy, education, and advocacy in Los Angeles.
The President & CEO reports directly to the Board of Directors, leads a staff of 16 individuals and hundreds of volunteers, and manages an annual budget of approximately $3 million. President & CEO responsibilities include: Working with the Board of Directors to determine the vision and overall strategy for the organization; leading and developing staff; establishing mutually beneficial community partnerships; cultivating individual and institutional donors; overseeing financial management and budgeting; ensuring the overall quality of programs and events; promoting an organizational culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and serving as the spokesperson for the organization. The President & CEO has a strong relationship with City Hall to build support for historic preservation in broad policies, community plans, and individual projects.
• In collaboration with the Board of Directors, implements a strategic plan that aligns programs and activities with Los Angeles Conservancy’s mission, vision, and long-term goals.
• Responsible for the overall management and leadership of the organization, including operations, programming, membership, partnerships, advocacy, fundraising, communications, and finances.
• Fosters an organizational culture that attracts, engages, motivates, and retains a diverse team of competent, qualified staff and volunteers.
• Effectively collaborates with the executive team to improve organizational efficiency and capacity.
• Develops positive and effective Board relationships; provides appropriate, adequate, and timely information to the Board and committees; and educates the Board on external issues affecting the organization and its vital work.
• Develops, proposes, and monitors the Board-approved annual budget and the organization’s overall financial health.
• Establishes a financial strategy aligned with the overall vision and strategy of the organization that ensures sustainability, healthy cash flow, and adequate reserves.
• Cultivates fiscally sustainable relationships with foundations, corporations, major donors, and prospects, leading in developing donor engagement strategies.
• Sets annual fundraising goals and ensure the agency budget is appropriately administered.
• Serves as chief spokesperson for the organization to constituents, the media, local politicians, and the general public.
• Facilitates the integration of Los Angeles Conservancy into the fabric of the Los Angeles community by effectively marketing, branding, and communicating its mission and programming.