🔗Project Reviewer, Disaster Assistance Program
Website Texas Historical Commission
JOB OBJECTIVE: Perform complex architectural project review and technical assistance to preserve and protect Texas’ diverse architectural heritage. As part of a three-member team in the Division of Architecture (DOA), help administer a federal grant related to Hurricane Harvey, review changes to state landmarks and other protected properties, administer state and federal grants, and serve as the first line of communication on preservation practices to the general public, property owners, architects, consultants, contractors, and government agencies. Work under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
1. Provide written and verbal technical assistance on preservation, rehabilitation, and restoration of historic properties in keeping with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties.
2. Review projects pursuant to Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act (54 USC §306108 and 36 CFR Part 800), specifically, the effect of proposed federal undertakings on identified historic properties.
3. Advise building owners and architects regarding application of the Americans with Disabilities Act and Texas Accessibility Standards in historic buildings.
4. Work collaboratively with THC’s History Programs Division, Archeology Division, and the Community Heritage Development Division, as well as other DOA programs including the Historic Tax Credit Program, the Courthouse Preservation Program, and the Disaster Assistance Program.
5. Perform on-site consultation with the public, architectural consultants, and government officials regarding appropriate preservation techniques.
6. Participate in conferences and workshops and speak to communities and professional groups about the Texas Historical Commission’s programs to encourage participation.
7. Serve as a liaison to other THC staff, government agencies, community organizations, and the general public to explain and provide technical assistance on program specifics and requirements.
8. Develop and review agreement documents.
9. Assist in the collection, organization, analysis, and/or preparation of materials in response to requests for program and project-specific information and reports.
10. Assist in developing and updating agency website, submitting social media content, and writing agency or outside publications.
11. Adhere to established work schedule with regular attendance.
12. Follow all THC safety guidelines/procedures and ethics requirements.
13. Perform other duties as assigned.