Website The Great Basin Institute
The Great Basin Institute promotes environmental research, education and service through agency partnerships, such as those with the Bureau of Land Management, United States Forest Service, US Fish & Wildlife Service, and the National Park Service. Under Cooperative or Assistance Agreements, the institute furthers professional development and workforce advancement by collaborating with resource management agencies, supporting the next generation of natural resource professionals. We are a proud member of the national service movement. Many of our opportunities are made possible through support from the Corporation for National and Community Service’s AmeriCorps program, THE CORPS NETWORK, and NEVADA VOLUNTEERS.
Working cooperatively with the National Park Service’s Joshua Tree National Park (JOTR), the Great Basin Institute is recruiting to hire two (2) Historic Preservation Specialist to join our Research Associate (RA) program and work within JOTR’s Historic Structures and Cultural Landscapes program. The principal objective of this position is to implement activities focused on promoting cultural scientific research related to JOTR in preservation of historic structures and cultural landscapes.
- Assist with applying preservation and preventative treatments on a variety of historic mining and homesteading related structures and other landscape features, including timber, masonry, adobe, and concrete materials;
- Lead small groups of volunteers in implementing established treatment methods;
- Assist with conditions assessment and monitoring of historic structures and cultural landscapes;
- Research methods for mitigating human related impacts such as graffiti and vandalism;
- Document preservation treatment process;
- Complete preservation treatment reports;
- And other routine tasks associated with Cultural Resources Branch functions.
Completing historic preservation projects in the desert southwest requires the physical endurance to walk over a variety of terrain and in a variety of weather conditions, including extreme heat, while carrying a heavy pack. Overnight camping for several days at a time in remote areas requiring packing in all supplies and materials may be required.
• 1 year appointment beginning November 2023 (or upon availability and completion of DOI Background Investigation)
• Full time, 40 hours/week (some weekend work may be required); potential for extension pending funding and favorable performance review
Joshua Tree National Park is located in southern California, just off I-10, and is a 2- to 3-hour drive from Los Angeles, Phoenix and Las Vegas. Aside from the outdoor recreation opportunities and natural wonders within the park, Death Valley and Grand Canyon National Parks, the Mojave Preserve, as well as Lake Mead and Spring Mountains National Recreation Areas are nearby and afford a diversity of outdoor activities ranging from hiking, mountain biking and rock hounding to fishing, boating and skiing/snowboarding.
Compensation and Benefits:
• Wage: $25.00 per hour
• Medical, dental, and vision insurance available at no cost
• Camping Per Diem: $20/day (when applicable)
• Paid leave and holidays