The Markosky Engineering Group, Inc.
Senior Architectural Historian / Senior Project Manager
Reports to: Historic Structures Group Leader and Cultural Resources Department Manager
The Markosky Engineering Group, Inc. is accepting resumes for a Senior Architectural Historian / Senior Project Manager to complete eligibility determinations, effects findings, and all associated tasks for above ground historic properties.
The position is a remote hybrid program, which entails a remote work environment with some occasional work conducted in a Markosky office setting. This can be discussed further in an interview, if selected for the interview process. The successful candidate can be assigned to Markosky’s main office in Ligonier, PA, or they can also choose from one of its branch offices in York, PA; Charleston, WV; or Steubenville, OH.
- The open position consists of managing above ground historic property projects and tasks, and pursuing new clients, business partners, and projects.
- Apply Section 106 of the NHPA guidelines and standards and National Register of Historic Places standards (integrity, significance, etc.).
- Prepare desktop surveys, reconnaissance surveys, minimum record entries, effects assessments, eligibility evaluations, and other related historic structures submissions.
- May prepare historic bridge rehabilitation analyses (HBRA).
- May prepare Purpose and Need statements, and Section 4(f) documentation as they are related to historic structures resources.
- Prepare consulting party materials.
- Prepare National Register nominations.
Manage and oversee the project budgets, the staff members assigned to the project, their tasks, and other related duties.
- Coordination with clients, agency contacts, teaming partners, consulting parties on select projects, and other interest groups and individuals.
- Coordinate, develop, and implement a variety of standard and/or creative mitigation solutions for projects that require a resolution to adverse effects.
- Develop scopes of work, technical approaches, and cost proposals for new projects.
- Participate in marketing and business development.
Strengthen relationships with current teaming partners and establish new relationships.
- Responsible for the quality assurance and quality control of deliverables to the client, federal and state agencies, consulting parties, etc.
- Must have excellent communication, organizational skills, and attention to detail.
- Must work with the Historic Structures Group Leader and the Archaeological Group Leader.
- Must have a positive attitude and a professional demeanor with the ability to work with and oversee various staff member personalities and backgrounds.
- Must be willing to travel.
A writing sample will be required as part of the application process.
Resume must clearly indicate candidate exceeds the Secretary of Interior Qualifications for an Architectural Historian (36CFR§61).
Must have an understanding of Sections 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act.
The successful candidate must have a Bachelor’s degree in architectural history, art history, historic preservation, history, or a closely related field.
Must have a minimum of ten (10) years of experience in architectural history and / or historic preservation.
An understanding of environmental permitting and laws is a plus.
Must also possess a current valid driver’s license and be able to pass a drug screening test.
Starting Salary and Benefits:
Starting salary of $40-$45 per hour, depending on experience.
Markosky provides a comprehensive benefit package for full-time employees that include:
Three (3) medical plan options.
Options for dental and vision coverage if elected.
Life and ADD insurance benefits.
401(k) retirement plan, which includes employer contribution.
Paid vacation leave.
Paid sick leave.
Ten (10) paid holidays.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $40.00 – $45.00 per hour
Employee assistance program
Flexible spending account
Health savings account
Paid time off
Professional development assistance
Monday to Friday
10 years (Required)
Driver’s License (Required)
Work Location: Hybrid remote in Ligonier, PA