🔗Volunteer Coordinator & Historical Interpreter
Website Tybee Island Light Station & Museum (Tybee Island Historical Society)
The Mission of the Tybee Island Historical Society is to preserve, develop, and promote the historic resources and legacy of Tybee Island to the benefit of our community, future generations, and nation as a whole by: Restoring, interpreting, preserving, maintaining, and effectively operating the Tybee Island Light Station, Museum, and all ancillary sites and exhibits; Collecting, preserving, storing, and exhibiting artifacts, documents, photographs, digital records, and images and other archival materials relevant to the cultural, military, maritime, and architectural heritage of Tybee Island; and working with and providing expertise to the City of Tybee Island and community organizations to preserve and promote Tybee’s historic legacy.
Reports to: Executive Director and Director of Operations
Position: Staff (Hourly; Full-time); Thurs-Mon 9AM-5PM Weekends Required
*Must be able to climb the lighthouse, work in inclement weather, have strong computer skills, and lift up to 15 pounds Duties
• Knowledge of all volunteers, the site, and its history
• Manage volunteer calendar
• Make sure there is adequate coverage by volunteers, if there is not adequate coverage emails or phone calls will be made in an attempt to fill all vacancies
• Fill in for volunteers when there are vacancies
• Recruit and train new volunteers and distribute all necessary volunteer info
• Plan volunteer events including training session and field trips
• Give a monthly report to the Board Member who reports on volunteers
• Help the Director of Programming & Membership with daily guided group tours
• Manage community service workers including scheduling, monitoring, and paperwork
• Tour site (including climbing the tower) on a daily basis to make sure it is safe and secure for visitors, enforcing rules with guests when necessary
• Help to answer phones & keep site tidy and clean
• Assist with parking lot duty, the gift shop, ticket sales and after-hours events as needed
• Opening and closing site as needed
• Plus any additional tasks that the Executive Director or Director of Operations assigns
Please send resumes to Nicole Thompson at [Email hidden] No phone calls or drop-ins, please.
Logging in with a Registered User Account and completing the Universal Application is required to apply for NCPE Internships. Please visit the Universal Application page to register for an account and complete the form. After logging in and completing the form, refreshing this listing will display the Job Application to apply online.