Website Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is a National Historic Landmark and accredited museum in Miami, Florida. The estate is owned by Miami-Dade County and is operated by the non-profit Vizcaya Museum and Gardens Trust, Inc. since 2017. Our mission is to preserve Vizcaya’s cultural and environmental resources to engage people in connecting with the past, understanding the present and shaping the future. Our vision is to position Vizcaya as an enduring, inclusive and innovative place that inspires people to embrace the cultural vitality and environmental sustainability of the world around us.
The Lead Conservator is the primary person responsible for a robust and well-funded program of care, preservation, and conservation of the site’s collections, which include furnishings, decorative arts, textiles, paintings, outdoor sculpture, architectural features, and historic finishes both interior and exterior. Given the integral relationship between collections and the buildings and gardens that house them, the Lead Conservator is also involved in the historic preservation of the estate. The Lead Conservator reports to the Director of Art and Artifact Stewardship and supervises a team consisting of one FT Assistant Conservator, one FT Preventive Conservation Manager, two FT Collections Care Technicians, two FT Historic Preservation Specialists, and one or more interns.
- Examine and treat objects and finishes; solicit proposals for and supervise conservation treatments by outside contractors; maintain supply inventory for the conservation studio and collections care staff; maintain all conservation- and maintenance-related documentation.
- Regularly update the long-range conservation plan, including the maintenance and conservation of stone sculptures and surfaces; with the Director of Art and Artifact Stewardship, plan and manage a conservation and preservation budget of up to $2M annually.
- Oversee the ongoing preventive conservation program, including cyclic maintenance, environmental monitoring, and Integrated Preventive Pest Management.
- Effectively supervise subordinates and manage the conservation internship program.
- Support the Capital Projects team in the planning and execution of capital projects; participate in the planning and execution of new collections care and conservation studios.
- Participate in disaster preparedness and recovery efforts.
- Participate in the Preservation and Maintenance Committee and conduct object handling and collections-related safety training for staff.
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop funding requests and grant applications; report on conservation projects to internal and external stakeholders; represent Vizcaya at professional conferences and meetings.
- Achieve meaningful and timely actions that advance Vizcaya’s mission, vision, and strategic plan.
- Proactively promote communication, collaboration, and customer service.
- Engage in internal committees as appropriate and complete assigned tasks in a timely manner.
- Recommend hiring, discipline, and promotion of your direct reports; review and approve payroll, leave, and overtime; set annual employee goals and evaluate performance.
- Create and manage your budget; ensure you and your direct reports understand and comply with Vizcaya’s policies and procedures; review the work of your direct reports for accuracy and appropriateness.