Website Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
Vizcaya Museum and Gardens is a National Historic Landmark and accredited museum in Miami, Florida. The estate is owned by Miami-Dade County and is operated by the non-profit Vizcaya Museum and Gardens Trust, Inc. since 2017. Our mission is to preserve Vizcaya’s cultural and environmental resources to engage people in connecting with the past, understanding the present and shaping the future. Our vision is to position Vizcaya as an enduring, inclusive and innovative place that inspires people to embrace the cultural vitality and environmental sustainability of the world around us.
The Lead Conservator is the primary person responsible for the care, preservation, and conservation of the site’s collections which include furnishings, decorative arts, textiles, paintings, outdoor sculpture, and architectural features and historic finishes both interior and exterior. Given the integral relationship between collections and the buildings and gardens that house them, the Lead Conservator is also involved in the historic preservation of the estate. The Lead Conservator reports to the Director of Art and Artifact Stewardship and supervises one FT Assistant Conservator, one FT Collections Care Specialist, two FT Collections Care Technicians, two FT Historic Preservation Specialists and one or more interns.
· Oversee the ongoing preventive conservation program, including cyclic maintenance, environmental monitoring, and Integrated Preventive Pest Management.
· Examine and treat objects and finishes; solicit proposals for and supervise conservation treatments by outside contractors; maintain supply inventory for the conservation studio and collections care staff; maintain all conservation- and maintenance-related documentation.
· Review and manage the long-range conservation plan, including the maintenance and conservation of stone sculptures and surfaces and the conservation of the Robert Winthrop Chanler ceiling mural and related objects and finishes in the Swimming Pool Grotto.
· Effectively supervise subordinates and manage the conservation internship program.
· Support the Capital Projects team in the planning and execution of capital projects.
· Participate in disaster preparedness and recovery efforts.
· Participate in the Preservation and Maintenance Committee and conduct object handling and collections-related safety training for staff.
· Collaborate with colleagues to develop funding requests and grant applications; report on conservation projects to internal as well as external stakeholders; represent Vizcaya at professional conferences and meetings.